Saturday, February 28, 2009

Boom what?

A week or so ago, I was talking with the girls at work about a song that had come on the music system throughout the showroom and somehow the word "boombox" came out of my mouth. As soon as I said it, a quizzical stare came from my co-workers like I had said something completely foreign. They had no idea what I was talking about. I tried to describe it as, "You know, like in the movie, Say Anything, when Lloyd Dobbler holds up the boombox outside of Diane Court's window as he is trying to woo her playing Peter Gabriel's, "In Your Eyes"???. Again, blank stares. Come on, this was rated by Entertainment Weekly as one of the most romantic moments in film. And, I can't be that old! How do they not know this iconic movie? And what else were we supposed to play our beloved tapes on? So thanks to Google, we looked up what a boombox was - and found some pictures of a very large radio with a tape player and huge speakers - so we got that figured out. Although I still feel like I am 25, I started questioning how ancient I really am. I called Kristen at work to see if she knew what a boombox was. Phewww! She did. But, she has never seen Say Anything! Oh, the youth today!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Well then, I guess I'm an old biddy too, because Say Anything is as you would say, a classic! It produced the following gems that I continue to live by:

"I gave her (in my case him) my heart, and she gave me a pen."

And, when Lloyd's friends are hanging out at a gas station on a Friday night, they inform him that it is a choice! Which I now alway say whenever I am involved in a loser-ish activity! Which is often.

Kim said...

"One question . . . do you need someone, or do you need me? Forget it. I don't really care."

Best. part. ever.

Michelle said...

I had this conversation with my class the other day. They did not know what a boom box or a disc man was. I hate to think that I am old.

Anonymous said...

Don't even get me started... Maybe Melinda has mentioned my "I heart Lloyd Dobler" hoodie... or maybe that John Cusack is my ABSOLUTE number one of all time. That scene with the boombox/ghetto blaster slays me. I am still waiting to learn how to drive a stick so I can re-live that moment between Diane and Lloyd... sigh.