Thursday, August 6, 2009

This is for you, Mindy Pugh! (Hey, that rhymed)

An Ode to the Italian Village

When we were vacationing in Maui, we learned about a special tanning lotion that you can only get in Maui . . . it was called a “local secret”. The Italian Village restaurant is our version of a “local secret”. This gem in Murray has been serving pizza and other Italian delights for years. We have been going since we were wee children. Our Dad has always been very perceptive about what needs to be done. If he came home from work and saw that nothing was ready for dinner, he knew that it was best not to ask and that the day had probably been hard. He immediately said to Mom, “What am I getting for dinner tonight?” and often it was a take-out pizza from Italian Village. They are crazy busy on Friday and Saturday nights where it’s often standing room only. They don’t advertise – they don’t need to. They aren’t open for lunch – except for Saturdays – which is a new thing. The dining room area is large – and totally dated – which is part of the charm. There are vinyl booths and chairs with dried flower arrangements on the wood paneled wall. They have pizza benders (aka a calzone) with your choice of ingredients as well as a variety of pizzas and pastas. My personal favorites are the combinations that you can get for under $10 – a pizza and lasagna or pizza and a salad (complete with lettuce and one single carrot), pizza and manicotti . . . I could go on and on. Kristen gets the tortellini, Melinda likes the benders and as I mentioned, I’m a ham pizza and combo gal. I’m all about the next meal too, so I can eat the side item from my combo meal and a slice or two of pizza and then take the rest home – so it’s really only $5 for each meal. It’s good food at a fair price. They have had some of the same cooks and servers for years – not overly friendly – but efficient. While you are waiting for a table, you can see back to the ovens and watch everything being made. A guy I used to work with had an annual date with the Italian Village and his family as they came home from Lake Powell. Everyone would meet up there for a final dinner before the trip was over. And don’t forget . . . they serve fruit punch too!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Sadly, the dining room actually has been redecorated. I can't say it was much of an improvement. Good thing the food's good.

Melinda said...

What a touching tribute! I was just there, and it makes me want to go right back! Will you please be sure to write my obituary for me?

Mindy said...

You've convinced me! I must try this place sometime. Next time you gals make a trip there, give me a lil' ring-a-ding :)
*I mean honestly, how much longer can Julie and I blog about one another without never having met in person*