Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Heart the Barefoot Contessa

A few weeks ago, we saw the movie Julie and Julia. I loved it! Not to mention the title has a great name. I thought Meryl Streep was fantastic and portrayed Julia Child in a way that I didn't even know her. I liked her love of life, love of her husband and love of food. It makes me want to start trying out some of her recipes.

My favorite current TV cook is hands down Ina Garten, nee' the Barefoot Contessa. I have told my family, that should I have a dying wish, it would be to stay at Ina's house where I envision she would have the guest room all ready for my arrival, just like she does all her friends on TV (that's real, right?), and we would have breakfast on the patio and she would invite me to "never leave". I think it would be fabulous. Doesn't she look just so friendly and welcoming?

I have all of the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks and love trying out new recipes. Watching her shows is also fun to get inspired with new ideas.
  • I subscribe to her philosophy that cupcakes and other treats are just the vehicle for the yummy frosting . . . pile it on!
  • I've learned the delight of roasting vegetables to make them taste good . . . all of them. Now, I have never been a big vegetable lover . . . at all. But, from Ina, I've learned that a little olive oil, kosher salt and pepper, clean hands, and all put on a sheet pan roasted at a high temperature for 20 minutes or so - and you come out with yummy veggies every time.
  • Even though she is a cook, you don't need to cook everything from scratch to have a great party. Make a few things and buy some too. No one will have a better time at the party because you slaved all week.
  • I want someone to adore me like Jeffrey adores her . . . and she adores Jeffrey in return. They are cute. She knows how important it is to make him feel like he never wants to leave too.
My friend, Holli, had a recipe for a yummy chocolate cake and frosting that uses zucchini on her blog that I can't wait to try. This is my favorite way to prepare zucchini . . . with parmesan, thanks to Ina.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I LOVE INA! I Tivo the episodes during the day and watch them before bed. And, hands-down, she and her husband are the cutest couple in the world.

H Yoho said...

I am always grateful for another zucchini recipe recommendation...muchos gracias!