Monday, August 3, 2009

Eyes Wide Shut

Last week, I had to go to the dentist. I may have previously mentioned my affection for my dentist in a completely platonic way. He not only keeps my teeth from falling out, but is also a sweet, semi-nerdy man who plays in a blue grass band on the side.

However, I hear that he is not as fancy as some other dentists. Apparently, those other dentists have TV's in the ceiling so that you can watch movies while you're having your teeth scraped. It's never really bothered my that he doesn't have something like that until this last time. He was using his latest toy, which was a high speed tartar scraper, and it was killing me! It was a lot faster, but was also more painful than the traditional method of scraping.

So as this is happening, I realize that I am in the following position: Death grip on the arm rests, stomach tightly clenched, feet ready to kick him at a moments notice, and eyes that are glued to the ceiling tiles above me, because goodness knows I can't look right at him, and there's no TV in the ceiling to distract me! So then I start wondering if I should close my eyes, because maybe I'm making him feel awkward that I'm not closing my eyes. Is it weird that I was just staring at the ceiling? I was relaying this story to Julie, and she told me that always closes her eyes. Am I the only one who doesn't close my eyes whilst in the dentist chair? What's the protocol??

4 comments:

Julie said...

Not only do I close my eyes so I don't see what's happening in the reflection of his glasses, but I tightly grip the armrests and have my knees curled up to my chest with a tear rolling from my eye as they work. I'm pretty sure I'm their favorite patient.

Courtney said...

I close my eyes, unless I'm watching the TV on the ceiling! :) Bugs when he interrupts my TV-watching to chat--as if I can respond with any semblance of clarity with his hands in my mouth.

Anonymous said...

Dentist = awkward. There's not much else to it. I think we should write a book about the awkwardness of life. I'd read that... and then feel awkward about it.

Lizzy said...

When it hurts like the devil I close my eyes. tight. However, my dentist has stuff taped to the ceiling for me to read. Totally random.