Saturday, August 15, 2009

I Don't Heart Change



I'm not a big fan of change. I get used to the way things operate, and I usually like them to stay that way. Case in point . . . my neighborhood WalMart. I was pretty excited for them to come to Saratoga Springs a few months ago. The closest one had previously been American Fork and me, nor any of my neighbors, like going to that one. As an aside, when we were on a youth trip to the Draper Temple recently, one of the leaders drove her own car so she could shop at WalMart while we were "in town" as I like to say because she won't go to American Fork.

Anyhooo . . . so the WalMart opens to much fanfare and when I finally make it over there - I am totally disillusioned. Nothing is where it is supposed to be?!?! The beauty products are the first thing you come to (on the side I like to enter from). There are short shelves so you can see over every aisle, which I read are supposed to make the store feel more open. On the contrary, I just feel like I have to duck and hide while I am shopping for my personal hygiene items so everyone in the ward doesn't know what I'm purchasing right as they come into the store. I still have no idea where the office supplies are . . . one of my favorite aisles. And the party products are in the corner, where the gardening items should be.

The other weird thing is the parking lot. You can't easily go from one side to the other without going through a maze of concrete barriers. It has taken some practice to figure out how I can enter, get to "my side", and navigate out of there. Why do I have just one side I will enter from you ask. Well, on one unfortunate visit to a WalMart, like a maverick, I parked somewhere new. When I came out to the parking lot after my shopping escapade, I had no idea where my car was. It was literally a good 10 minutes of me going up and down each aisle with my cart until I found my car.

Luckily, my beloved Draper WalMart hasn't changed a thing and still receives my business.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

This is so true about you! When we have driven together to either Target or Costco, I head to my usual parking spot. Your response is always, "Really? Don't you want to park over there? That's where I always park, and it's much better." So I say, good for Walmart for helping you to make a robust change, and get you to think outside the box!

Julie said...

Nice buzzword usage. And, of course, my spots are the best . . . like the penthouse.

Angela said...

I love it! I have to agree, sometimes I will drive past other stores to get to my grocery store where I know where everything is. I have a usual door to go in as well. It helps me work from one side to the other in my usual pattern :)

H Yoho said...

I have been waiting to hear what you think of your new Walmart. Sorry to hear it's uncomfortable for you. We have no Target's or Walmarts extremely close by (dumb "walking community advocates") so I go to the Target by my parents, and it is being remodled. Hate that about it. What was wrong with walking in and knowing EXACTLY where everything is that I need?