Friday, August 7, 2009

Shhh...It's a Local Secret


Julie's post about Italian Village got the wheels turning in my head. What are some of my other favorite "local secrets?" You know, those neighborhood places that are must-dos? If I were writing a little "insider's guide" to The Salt Lake City, here is what I would include:

  • Burger Joint: Gotta be Hires Big H. I like the New York H with grilled onions. Their fries are hand-cut (right, Melinda?) and don't forget to top it off with a mug of frosty root beer. And don't forget the fry sauce! Runner-up: Crown Burger.
  • Ice Cream: Nielsen's Frozen Custard. It's so thick and creamy you will die. Get a cone or try a huge concrete in a variety of flavors. Best location: sit on the benches overlooking the St. George Blvd. Runner-up: Iceberg.
  • Patio Dining: Ruth's Diner. Gotta go to Ruth's at least once per summer. They usually have live music, and with canyon setting, white lights and good food you've got yourself a lovely evening.
  • Summertime Must: A local Demolition Derby. Is there anything better than watching a bunch of crazy people in beat-up cars crash into each other until there's only one car left running? It's the perfect summer night for me. Runners-up: Local Rodeos, outdoor concerts
  • Best spot to roast mallows: Millcreek Canyon. This is always where we would go growing up and Mom would whip out her stacked rubbermaid containers with hot dogs, potato salad, and Jell-O squares.
  • Best Dessert: The Dodo's Tollhouse Pie. I can't even explain how tasty it is. Just get it.
  • Best stretch of freeway: I-215 heading eastbound - the only place you can see the city without the sound barriers. It's the best view in town.
  • Never disappoints: I love Temple Square every time I go down there. I always just want to stay and hang out. And the lights at Christmastime are a must-do, no matter how many times you've gone before.
  • Best Grocery Store: I gotta say it again: Harmon's all the way.
  • Best hard-to-find restaurant: the Mandarin in Bountiful, smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood. This is the only restaurant our whole family can agree on. Runner up: Cowboy Grub (not exactly hard to find, but I couldn't think of another).
  • Best way to sound like a local: Master the "unh" sound. See: Layton, mountain, etc. Runner-up: Drop all your g's off the -ing sound.
  • Best Mexican: A tie: Baja Cantina in Park City (their steak fajitas slay me) and Cafe Rio (there are lines for a reason).

    What would be on your list of "Local Secrets?"
  • 3 comments:

    Julie said...

    Oooh . . . fun! I love your list (although, isn't it the Baja Cantina for Mexican in Park City??). Here are some of my other local favorites.

    1. Concerts at Deer Valley - plenty of parking and an easy walk to the mountain. No better place to see Kenny Loggins . . .wahoo!
    2. Asiago Cheese bagel from Rich's bagels on Highland Drive. The amount of cheese is ridiculously amazing.
    3. The 7'4" tall cake from Tuscany . . . delish!
    4. Los Hermanos in Provo for a chicken burrito - packed with chicken (no filler beans and rice)
    5. Pace's Dairy Ann in Bountiful or Larsen's Frostop in St. George for a Rainbow . . . soft ice cream surrounded by your favorite flavor of slush. I always like red cherry.
    6. Park City Alpine Slide - much longer than the ride at Snowbird. A classic summer tradition since we were wee.

    Courtney said...

    I think Alberto's should be on the list for their chicken taquitos with AWESOME guac. And they're open 24 hrs, so go anytime.

    Also, I think my favorite part of this post was the "Best way to sound like a local." Awesome, and true. THANK YOU for the laugh!!! :)

    Heather said...

    I love the Little Acorn up near Spanish Fork Canyon...hamburgers on homemade bread. So good...