Friday, August 21, 2009

It's Not Just For Old People! (Though There Are a Lot of Them)


I love to learn stuff! So I love going to Education Week down at BYU for a day or two every year. My first memory of Education Week is when I was in preschool or kindergarten and Mom and Julie left for Education Week. This left no one to do my hair. Dad was kind enough to fix breakfast for me and put my hair in a ponytail - and he did a pretty good job!

When I tell people I'm going to Education Week, they either don't know what it is, or they think it's something old people do (it is, but there are a lot of younger people there too).

For those of you newbies, I've put together Kristen's Beginners Guide to Education Week!
  • There will be hits and misses. Avoid all storytellers, Michael Ballam, and anything with a large proportion of Grey-hairs.. Check the credentials of the speakers - if they teach seminary or institute, they're probably pretty dynamic speakers.
  • Build in breaks and meals. You shouldn't be spiritually enlightened the WHOLE day!
  • Plan to walk slowly. When I was at BYU, we had a scant 10 minutes between classes. At Education Week, they give you 25. Negotiating all the (slow) foot traffic, Moms in Capris, not to mention the rolling backpacks (oh, the rolling backpack!) is a trial to my patience.
  • Sit back and enjoy!
  • 2 comments:

    Julie said...

    My own little highlight reel of Education Week . . . the Bookstore Annex for fun books and handouts that I didn't even know I wanted or needed, lunch buffets in the common area, chocolate peanuts in the Wilkinson Center . . . and of course some learning mixed in there too.

    jayna said...

    and the jumpers. beware the jumper fest. (of course that more applies to womens week....)

    cheers