Saturday, March 14, 2009

More Clothing Rants

I had dinner tonight with my cute Dad. He had been working in the yard and cleaning the house. Always before we go out to dinner or anywhere for the night, he always changes his clothes - usually just his shirt - to make sure that he looks extra nice. He always wore a uniform to work and then came home and changed as he downshifted to be at home. I do the same thing as I come home from work.

I grew up going to bridal showers hosted by Grandma Ruth where we always wore dresses for the occasion (note that we absolutely hated this). We dressed up for the family Christmas party, weddings, etc. Whether we liked it or not, we learned to dress for the occasion. Times are definitely more casual now, which is good and bad. We don't wear dresses to showers or most parties anymore, but we do try to wear something a little different than our comfy clothes that are for home.

I was out yesterday to a store and saw a plethora of sweats and pajama pants which mystifies me. Hanging out in these clothes makes me feel like a "shlumpa-dumpa" (word courtesy of Oprah) where I just don't feel that great about myself. I'm stumped by sweats . . . with the elastic waist, loosey-goosey construction (a technical term) where things are not held in very tight (you know what I mean here) and the sweet elastic at the ankles. Let's just say it doesn't highlight our bodies in the best way. The other thing I don't get is sweats with writing right on the butt. Who wants to draw everyone's eye right to that part of your body? And, pajama pants out of the house?!? I don't ever need to be in that big of a hurry to go anywhere that I can't change out of the clothes that I slept in. Heck, Michael Jackson couldn't even bothered to change on his way to court!

And, weddings . . . a special occasion to celebrate. I realize that we often go to a lot of them, but I will never think that jeans are acceptable. One of my favorite stories was the wife of our former Stake President, who later became a General Authority. He was not great about telling his wife when they had a wedding to go to - and they often had them spur-of-the-moment. Many times she was already in her pajamas - in for the night. So, rather than change, she put on knee-high boots with a long trench coat cinched over all and they were off with no one being the wiser. I love that!

Something else I don't get . . . carpenter pants! I work with a guy who takes pride in the fact that he still wears the pants he did in high school and that includes his sweet carpenter pants. What do you need all of those pockets for? And have you ever needed to put a hammer in the special hammer-cozy on the side? Do these guys not realize that we girls love nothing better than a great-fitting pair of jeans on them . . . and the carpenter style just isn't where it's at! Who is with me? And if you see me out in a big trench coat and some boots . . . it's our little secret.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Let it be known: if anyone shows up to my wedding in a pair of jeans, I'm having a bouncer kick them out. No nut cup or punch for them!

Daniel & Molly Smith said...

Who is the one that wears the carpenter pants???

Julie said...

Oooh . . . Dan, I can't say. I forget that you know these people. Let's just say that it's someone who still works here and you definitely know who they are.