Saturday, March 7, 2009

Kids Today...

This post will officially make me sound like an old lady complaining about kids today and their crazy technology, but I'm doing it anyway! In general, I am a fan of the Facebook. Since we Bird girls all "like to know stuff," it's really the perfect way to keep up on who's dating who(m), what trips people are taking, and who has added a new friend in the last couple of hours. What a great invention!

However, I have to say that it has now taken the passive aggressive form of communicating to a new level. In my ward, the clerk is a fan of letting people know about ward council through a Facebook event. The problem is that of the 15 people who are supposed to show up, he would only invite 5 or so people to attend via Facebook, and that was the only form of communication about this meeting. So last Sunday, I had heard a rumor that we were having ward council, but had no invitation through the special Facebook group. So I head over to the church for our 10:00 meeting, and only Kristen and one other person were there. I ask what's going on, and being the kind soul that she is, she immediately tells me to be nice, because she knew I would be mad. It turns out that the meeting had been cancelled, and the clerk had sent out a message via Facebook at around 1:00am the previous night letting the 5 people invited to the meeting know that it had been cancelled. I was livid! I mean, is it now too difficult to even send a text letting me know that I don't need to get showered and gussied up 3 hours before church? Believe you me, he got a stern Facebook punch in the arm from me!
I was further convinced that Facebook is just way too easy to get out of doing things you don't want to when my home teacher sent me a message on Facebook on the last day of the month. It said that he hadn't had time to come visit, but here was a lovely message for me to enjoy. Now I'm not the world's best visiting teacher, but I am at least woman enough to admit when I don't do it, instead of sending a lame message and counting it! I'll be setting up a Facebook event for everyone who agrees with me, so please watch for that coming soon!


2 comments:

jayna said...

A-MEN sista. ooohh, who is the ward clerk (i realize i should know this) but who is he so i can kick him in the shins??

j

Courtney said...

I would just de-friend that guy! Not that it would help much with communicating about meetings, but it would sure feel good! I de-friended my nephew after he used too many explitives (sp?) on FB.