Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Summer is Over

On Monday we went to a Labor Day Luau at Thanksgiving Point. This has become a fun thing that we have gone to the last few years as a family. This year we had everyone, except Melinda and Kristen, who were in Nauvoo. (When are we getting some details and pictures, by the way?!? Brooke, maybe you need to be a guest blogger). And we added some of Lisa's family who were down from Idaho . . . the more the merrier.

You are greeted with a flower lei and then wind your way through the garden area and the tiki torches to the buffet feast. Delicious fruits, the plate lunch special macaroni salad, teriyaki chicken and pulled pork among other yummy things topped our plates. The big finish was a soft, thick coconut macaroon washed down with some orange guava juice. Yummy! I think Aiden and Maia downed just a few of those cookies. Then we waited for the show to start. The kids were getting a little restless and entertained themselves rolling in blankets and going down the tiered grassy hill. When the show started, the dancers went all through the 7 different polynesian areas with our personal favorite being New Zealand, where Dad/Grandpa served his mission. We grew up with Dad teaching us the warrior chant, Haka, and the big finish of the tongue sticking out. Maia is pretty good at it, I must say. The luau finale is always the fire dancers, which are always fun to watch.

We didn't even know if the luau was going to happen earlier in the day because it had rained so hard - but by dinner time the sun was shining. We all had brought jackets because it was a little windy and chilly when we started. By the end of the evening, it was FREEZING. We were all bundled up in blankets, jackets and whatever we had and didn't know if we would last through the program. Two days before I was burning up at Swiss Days and now I am a human popsicle . . . what's up! The next day I heard that the temperature dipped into the 30's and 40's . . . and we felt it! When the program ended, I cranked the heat in my car and turned on my fireplace at home to try and thaw out. It's official . . . summer has ended. The only comfort is that this time next week, it will be 80 degree weather and we will be partaking in an official luau . . . can't wait! -Julie

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Seriously, would you write menus already? A soft, thick coconut macaroon? I don't like macaroons, and that sounds good!