Monday, September 1, 2008

I Heart Swiss Days

My favorite rite of passage from summer to fall is the Friday and Saturday before Labor Day. Since I was a wee child I have LOVED going to Swiss Days in Midway for a mega craft fair. I am a serious shopper that takes the day off on Friday to get there first thing in the morning to check out all the good stuff before it gets too crowded. One year I made the mistake of going on Saturday and some of the best stuff was already sold out! Another time, we had gotten there a little later in the morning, and I saw a lady walk out with a wooden bird wall hanging that was adorable and a “must have” for me. Dad hurried over to find out where she got it. When we made it over to the booth, sure enough, they were sold out. But, luckily, they were taking orders so Dad arranged for it to be ordered and shipped in time for a surprise birthday present. (Isn’t he the best?!) If we had gotten to Swiss Days any later, I would have never seen that little treasure walk off and known about it . . . how sad would that have been. Since then I accept nothing less than being there first thing in the morning. It’s a fun thing that Mom, Dad and I would do together.

The last few years, we would head to Swiss Days then continue on down to St. George for the last weekend of Tuacahn shows. It was a fun tradition. As it became harder for Mom to get around, we tried to get her situated underneath a shady tree while Dad and I shopped. But by the time we came back to her, there were so many other people seated around her now that it was hard to get her out! When I see that big thick tree on the Town Square grounds, I still think of her sitting under there - surrounded by men on lawn chairs waiting for their wives to return . . . it was pretty funny. After shopping, Dad and I always stand in line for Ham and Cheese sandwich . . . it’s quite fancy . . . you get a pickle, chips, cookie AND a drink. Dad is never too happy with the “yellow gunk” (or mustard to the rest of us) that they try and stick on his sandwich.

This year, I still took the day off, but went to work a booth for my friend, Stacy, who has a craft business, The Ivy Twines. The booth was busy from the get go and was steady throughout the show. I got to spend lots of time with Stacy’s cute Mom, Linda, who was in town from California to help. We had to get there early to accommodate shoppers like me who arrive early! And then were there until the last shoppers after sunset. Long days and lots of work! Her Mom and I decided that the next time we see each other we are going out to dinner and to a spa. And next year, I’ll be back to being a shopper . . . eating my Ham and Cheese sandwich . . . and then getting out of there before all of the strollers arrive!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Loved seeing you! It is insanity but we go back each year for that must have. Traditions, gotta love them.