Saturday, December 20, 2008

'Tis The Season

I love Christmas cards as much as the next person. I think they are very cheery, and a nice way to catch up on what your loved ones have been doing during the year. What I don't love are when people use the Christmas card as an excuse to tell every, single, solitary thing they have done over the last 12 months! I don't need to know that in the month of March, you bought a new ladder, and were very busy using the ladder to clean out your rain gutters!

Growing up, we loved getting a Christmas card from one of the couples in our ward because it was like a car crash--you didn't want to read it, but couldn't stay away from it. Bless their hearts, this couple would explain, in horrific detail, all about their numerous illnesses. One year, they just had one illness occur after another. *Ralph had gall bladder surgery, got an infection in the wound, fell and broke his hip, and had a nasty cold for two months. While *Martha got a peppercorn stuck in her gums, had a wicked hangnail that got infected, and had to tend to all of Ralph's injuries. And that was just the month of January. It was an eleven page letter.

But our all time favorite Christmas letter comes from one of our cousins. She has like 14 kids, and literally uses the Christmas letter to detail the minutia of their lives. I can't handle it! Here is a direct quote from this year's letter:

"*Melissa (19) has completed her Associates Degree, she is only in her third semester of college. Melissa is a member of Kappa Delta Sorority where she is in charge of academics since she has the best GPA in the sorority. Melissa is a delivery person for Domino's pizza, and she likes it when the football camps are in session because they order lots of pizza and the boys give her big tips because they think she is cute."

Are you kidding me? Even if that is true, which come on Melissa, it isn't, I don't want to hear about it! I had a pretty good GPA in college too, but you had better believe I wasn't going to include that information in a Christmas card!

But for everyone else who is able to self-edit, keep those cards coming! Merry Christmas!

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent/injured.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Melinda, you are so brave. I have a similar critique of a cousin's annual holiday letter, but can't sufficiently share and chuckle about it lest she track down my blog somehow!! Your cousin must not be aware of your blog? And may she never not! Hee hee!!!

P.S. I must need to spell check, too, then. I didn't find one error in the post, and I'm a stickler for that kind of thing!