Monday, October 12, 2009

What Do You Eat on a Plane?


I love to travel and one of my favorite parts are the snacks and magazines that I must get every trip. After we get all checked in, I love nothing more than going to the nearest little shop with magazines and snacks. Since I subscribe to tons of magazines already, it takes some time to search through and find some juicy rags that I want to read while in flight (heaven forbid, I select a book . . . I won't). After I have selected my reading material, I peruse the snacks. I get snacks for the plane that I don't normally ever choose. I always love getting Cherry Nibs, much to Melinda's chagrin, because then she doesn't want to snitch any from me . . . ha! And I usually get a nice bag of Reese's Pieces too that I can ration out throughout the flight.

Now, once I have safely boarded with my treats in tow, and we have taken off and are ready for drink service, what do you think my drink of choice is? I live for Coke, but that is oddly not my choice. I always pick tomato juice! It sounds so good on the plane. I don't know if I think it goes well with the snacks offered on board, but I love it. And, a little tip from Dad, always ask for a can of whatever you get. They will try to just give you a little cup that is mostly filled with ice. No, no. The Bird way is to maximize what you get by asking for the entire can, which they will give you, along with a cup of ice so you can enjoy the whole thing. It's genius.

The other food item I love is the California Pizza Kitchen in the Delta terminal. I love when we fly through there. It doesn't matter what time of day it is - I must get a Thai Chicken Pizza to go. Fantastic! In fact, our last flight, Melinda and I didn't even have time to eat our pizzas before it was time to board, so we took them on the plane to eat. I don't think our seat buddies were thrilled with the nice pizza odor - but it was oh so good.

Even if I'm not traveling on a plane, but am still going somewhere, I must stock the car with goodies and magazines. What better way is there to travel to Girls Camp than by doing the quizzes in the Tiger Beat magazine about your BFF while eating a Fruit by the Foot.

Question: What do you love to bring or eat on a plane? What is your favorite travel snack? And, do you eat it at any other time or just when you travel?

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Chex Mix always sounds good to me in airports, as well as those muffins from Starbucks. Or, ok, a giant cookie.

Melinda said...

I do not know how you can choke down those Nibs!! They are a waxy piece of goo that don't even come close to tasting good. But I digress. Do you know what does randomly sound good? Ginger ale. I can honestly say that the only time I have consumed this is on a plane. And water. Also, more often than not, I find myself accepting the pretzels they hand out. And sure enough, they are always dry and stale. Luckily, I have my full can of ginger ale to quench my thirst!

Heather said...

I am a sucker for just about any snack in the airport. It's like I'm afraid I won't eat for 4 days. I like to get stuff I can eat a little at a time. Trail mix, M&Ms...and a drink with a screw-top lid.