Saturday, April 4, 2009

Au Revoir

The latest victim of our economy: the TGI Friday's at the Cottonwood Mall.  I went there many, many times during my junior high and high school years (that and Chili's - are those the only two places people can agree on, or what?).  The banner on the restaurant says "Thanks for a great 20 years."  What the?  I can't believe it's been 20 years! I remember going there when it first opened.  How old am I???  

Memories aside, I'm really not that torn up about it.  I haven't been to a TGI Friday's in probably a couple of years.  But it got me thinking what restaurants might be next on the chopping block.  

Here are some restaurants I've driven by recently and wondered why they're still open: 
  • Souper Salad.  Does anyone eat here?  I guarantee you when my friends OR family are trying to think of a place to eat, Souper Salad is not even on the radar.  And I've never thought the name was quite as clever as they think it is.
  • Sconecutter.  The novelty of a sandwich served on a giant scone wears off rather quickly.  Plus, when I think of a scone, I think of the crispy-on-the-outside, soft dough-love on the inside scones that Chuck-a-Rama has perfected (the only thing they've perfected, in my opinion).  I do not think of the dry, room temperature "scones" that Sconecutter serves their sandwiches on.  And there are not one, but TWO locations in the greater Salt Lake Valley!
  • Fazoli's.  Apologies to Julie - I had no idea anyone still ate there, and liked it!  In theory, fast food Italian is a great idea.  In reality, it must be trickier than we think.  Case in point: the fact that the only other fast-food Italian place I can think of is Sbarro. 
What about you - any food joints you think might be the next to go?  

PS. Sorry three out of four of our last posts have been food-related.  We just like to eat, okay?

4 comments:

Beth said...

This isn't food, but the Pier1 by my house is closing! At first I thought, "What? How can Pier1 go down?" but then I realized I go in sometimes, think the stuff is cool, but nothing I would want in my home, so I leave without buying anything. I guess I'm not alone in that.

Melinda said...

How about Artic Circle? They do have a nice lime Rickey, but I've never met anyone who has actually eaten there. Also, any fast food Mexican joints like Beto's, and Del Taco. I know men like those places because they are so cheap, but honestly, eww.

Julie said...

Are you kidding me, Melinda? Arctic Circle is the granddady of fry sauce. While other burger joints have way too much mayo in their sauce where we have to add our own ketchup to balance it out, Arctic Circle has the perfect blend of tomato tanginess to dip those perfect fries and corn dogs into. Love it! (And the Lime Rickey's!) Long live Arctic Circle! Again, come out to the Springs where that's one of our main hangouts.

Melinda said...

Clearly, you've lived in the Springs too long Julie! Artic Circle=gross!Once you move back to a real city, you'll see that there are a myriad of other, better places to sup!