Monday, July 28, 2008

Songs of Summer

Last week a co-worker asked if I had heard the song by the New Kids on the Block, “Summertime”. She said that she liked it. I said that I wasn’t really a fan. It's a little slower than I like and, really, the New Kids coming back?? When I think of the song, “Summertime”, it’s got to be the version by Will Smith . . . aka DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. That song makes you feel like you should be out of school and hanging out in the sun. So I started thinking of other favorite songs that remind me of summer.

First up it has to be Bananarama’s “Cruel Summer”. Hey, I am a child of the 80's and there is nothing better than the hook that gets you going at the start of the song.

Then there is “Vacation” by the Go Go’s. You get the urge to go somewhere right from this. And you’ve got to love Belinda Carlisle! That and “Our Lips Are Sealed” are classics.

An old school favorite that I love in conjuction with a 4th of July fireworks show is “God Bless the USA” by Lee Greenwood. You feel so patriotic with this song. Not to mention my nieces and nephews can belt it out word for word when we’re driving in the car.

And then most recently a favorite summer song is “Crazy in Love” by Beyonce’. What are some of your favorite summer songs. -Julie

3 comments:

Heather said...

I'm with you on Cruel Summer. I worked at a frame shop one summer and every day we would call up the radio station and request that song...we all LOVED IT! Still do...it's on my iPod.

Melinda said...

Well, when I hear Cruel Summer, all I can picture is Daniel (with an "L") Laruso riding his bike, rocking a huge pair of sunglasses, into school. And really, the Go- Go's? I didn't know you were 80 years old! Ha! Also, regarding NKOTB, I think it's rather pathetic that a bunch of 40 year old men are singing about how the hottie at the beach was rocking flip flops and a short skirt. You're too old for that! They should be singing about social security checks and the joys of Ben Gay.

Kristen said...

I LOVE DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince's "Summertime." For me it will always be the ultimate summer song! May I also submit one from my youth in the mid-90s - "Informer" by Snow. Remember when this white "rapper" took us all by storm and no one knew what the heck he was saying? Good times!