Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Dentist = Torture



At some point during each visit to the dentist, during the middle of my teeth cleaning, I swear to myself I'm never going back to the dentist, ever. Today, in the middle of a cleaning, I actually thought to myself, I don't care if all my teeth fall out and I have to get dentures. I just want this to stop!! Going to the dentist is akin to what I think it would be like to be tortured. I like my actual dentist. But the teeth cleanings have got to go. I consider myself unusual in that I accumulate tartar at what I feel is an abnormally high rate. I brush twice and day and floss every night. Yet each time, towards the end of a cleaning, the dental hygienist will ask me if I floss at all. “Because,” said the one today, “you have a lot of tartar build-up, and we kind of go through this every time.” That's the nice way of saying they dread my visits. I also bleed a lot and have large amounts of saliva, which increases the time it takes to clean my teeth because they constantly have to stop and vacuum me out. Today I had saliva dripping down the side of my mouth. You just can't have any dignity. I spent almost an hour just for the cleaning today, and I'm pretty sure it's no picnic for both parties. Bring on the dentures!

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Please get my permission before showing a picture of my dentures on the world wide web. I get embarrassed. Thank you.

Patsy Dupre said...

Teeth cleaning procedures are really painful, especially if you haven't visited your dentist for a long of time. I must admit, that there are times when I get so frightened by these procedures. But it's all for our own good. So you must not be afraid of them, sweetie!

serena said...

Sometimes, teeth cleaning can be traumatic, especially when you've experienced some unpleasant procedure in the past. But forget about the past, and have some good lovin' procedure once in a while. You'll see, it's all worth it.

~Serena Mcelyea~