Monday, May 3, 2010

Women's Conference

Kristen and I headed to Happy Valley for a day of Women's Conference on Friday. We had several take-aways from the day.

1. It would be nice if the outside ticket booth where you purchase your ticket also was the place that gave you your lanyard to position around your neck to get into the classes. We paid our money, got a blank piece of paper that I could have printed on my own, wrote our own names on our tags and then tried to find a lanyard. Silly us, the box of lanyards was inside the Marriott Center . . . who knew.

2. If you can only go one day, pick Thursday instead of Friday. Not only do you get a nice choice of classes, but they have the Sharing Stations - which I love, service projects to do, special meals and activities in the evening. None of that happens on Friday.

3. Buy a tote bag. I was kind of mocking the Women's Conference 2010 tote bags that many people had purchased, but throughout the day, I saw the wisdom in them. I started out with my rain slicker since it was so rainy, then didn't need it, so I balled it up and put my jacket in my purse (which some would say is almost as big as a tote, but that's totally not the point). It would have fit so much better in a tote. The tote comes with long straps so you can effortlessly sling the bag on your shoulder. Also, it comes in handy after my requisite purchases at the BYU Bookstore, which is one of my favorite stops for sour cherries and chocolate peanuts . . . a BYU tradition . . . among other fun items that I get sucked into getting. Not to mention it would hold the schedule and various other papers you tend to collect. And get this, it even comes with a water bottle. Next time . . . I'm totally getting the tote. Go ahead and mock me.

Me with my beloved sour cherries

Kristen sneaking into the chocolate peanuts that we got for Melinda.

4. Store cans of Coke in my new tote bag. I forget that only Caffeine free Coke is available, which is not acceptable and tasted terrible. I was having cravings by the end of the day. As we waited in line for a class, I heard two girls talking behind me and I thought I clearly heard one of them say, "I got some Mountain Dew". I was so excited that I gasped and was just about ready to whip around and anxiously ask where she found the caffeinated goodness when I luckily clarified with Kristen to make sure what I really heard them say. Sadly, there was no manna nearby and apparently the girl said, "I go to Mountain View". Boo! I may or may not be an addict.

Other than that, Kristen and I had a nice day together and I got to hear from one of my favorite people, Kathy McGregor. Success.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Can't wait to go again next year (taking your notes of course)