Saturday, April 17, 2010

I Owe it all to Frank and Bonnie

Whenever I run a race, the most important part of my preparation the night before is creating a playlist for my iPod! I like to put the fastest, most upbeat songs towards the end when I need a final push.

The playlist I created for the Salt Lake half marathon today was no exception. I lovingly crafted it yesterday on my day off. And then - I realized I had left my iPod at work! Of all the weekends to forget my little buddy!

Of course I had to drive out to work to get it. I couldn't run a race without it.

And I'm so glad I did. I was struggling up the final hill along State Street (so mean to put a hill at mile 12!) when like manna from heaven my go-to motivational song came on: Frank Stallone's "Far from Over."
Some of you kids may know it from a little movie called Stayin' Alive (that apostrophe is in the original title - that's how great the movie is). This song is pure, 80s-tastic and it was just what I needed. And then what song came on next? Only Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero," which I have crowned the Best Song Ever? on a previous post.

Frank and Bonnie, when I was about to slow down, you pulled me through. I owe it all to you. Look how happy I am:

1 comment:

Julie said...

I downloaded both songs . . . thanks for reminding me about these little gems. Congrats on the run.