Saturday, January 24, 2009

What I Like About Winter

January is about the time when I am sick of winter weather and ready for some warm sunshine. Since it may be a while before that happens . . . here are a few things that I actually like about this season.
  • Valentine candy! As soon as Christmas is over, the stores start getting ready for Valentine's Day. I was so excited a few weeks ago to see my favorite jelly hearts and cinnamon hearts with sugar right at the entrance of my favorite grocery store, Harmon's, taunting me to buy them . . . and of course, I obliged. They are so yummy! I like to have 1 jelly heart with 1 cinnamon heart - it's a nice blend. Beware, you must get the Sweet's brand of candy. I made the mistake, in my desperation earlier, to pick up a bag of Brach's jelly hearts at Smith's . . . so not the same. After two or three, the bag ended up in the garbage. Harmon's will hook you up with the good stuff.
  • University of Utah Gymnastics . . . Red Rocks. I'm not a fan of football or basketball, but once January hits, I love going to the gymnastics meets. We have been going off and on since we were little. I can't hear the song, "Let the Music Play" by Shannon without wanting to just get out and do my own little floor exercise dance (don't worry, this is so not happening). The team gets great support and the meets are always fun.
  • Layers - I like bundling up in my sweaters and scarves. In the summer, there is only so much you can take off (it's a hot life, as my mother always said), but in the winter when it's cold, I can pile it on. Check out the jaunty new hat that Melinda and I each got at a boutique. Cute, right? I test drove it at an outdoor activity with the youth and it was a big hit. (P.S. My eye is all better . . . thanks, Mindy Pugh for asking.)
  • American Idol - I love when this show gets going. Unlike some people, I don't enjoy the audition weeks as much . . . I feel so bad for the people who get humiliated. But, once it gets going with delightful covers of "classic" tunes . . . I'm hooked. Can't wait to see who comes from the SLC. Check out Brent's blog for his hilarious oberservations and comments.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Can I get a hallellujah? I also love the cinnamon/juju heart blend--it is a delight. I am a little upset that you look better in your hat than I do, which is why you will not see a picture of me with mine on anytime in the near future!
P.S. The eye looks fantastic!

Mindy said...

I'm so glad to know that your shiner is gone. I've been worried sick about it ever since the incident.