
Julie and Melinda will tell you that I don't pay attention to stuff. I normally refrain from telling roommate stories on this blog (and believe me, I have had some doozies). But this one is more just funny, and really just about how I'm kind of a space cadet.
Bear with me, because there's some background I have to take you through:
-Wednesday I came home from work and my roommate (let's call her Brandi, because that's her name) is watching TV. There's someone lying facedown on the floor next to her asleep. I learn that this is Brandi's friend, and she's in town for a wedding they're going to that night. My other roommate also seems clueless as to this person's identity.
-Thursday, I don't see the mystery woman at all.
-Today (Friday), I walk in from the gym and there's someone sitting on the couch watching TV. From the back of her head (she doesn't turn when I say hi) it looks like my roommate Ashley...or was it my other roommate Alicia? I don't really bother to find out because I'll be on my way out again shortly.
-Cut to tonight. I get home and think it's odd that there are no cars in the driveway, but the lights are all on. Well, I walk towards the back door and a stranger opens it for me. I walk in and four other girls are standing in my kitchen. There is evidence of a homemade dinner behind them. I don't know anybody in this room! The girl who answered the door says “This is another one of Brandi's roommates. Brandi's not here.” She seems aware that this is weird. I didn't have the presence of mind to ask where Brandi was, or even say, “I'm sorry, I never caught your name.” Instead, I asked what they'd been doing. They'd had spaghetti, and would I like some? No, I think I'll pass.
-After everyone had left, I went down and said, “I'm Kristen, by the way, I don't know that we've ever been formally introduced.” This was, of course, a clever ruse to get her to tell me her name. Instead, the mystery girl informs me that we've met several times before when she's been in town! So of course I was too embarrassed to admit that I didn't remember, and certainly couldn't ask HER name! Eventually she mentions the fact that she's just going to shower and go to bed. Which all leads me to one conclusion – the mystery girl is staying with us, and has been since Wednesday! She must have been staying in the basement where I couldn't see her.
Seriously, though, tell me it's weird that Brandi didn't tell any of us she was having someone stay with us! Much less hosting a dinner party! She must be staying in the basement where I can't see her. I advise everyone who actually made it to the end of this post to check your basements. You might have a TV-watching, spaghetti-making secret roommate you didn't know you had.
2 comments:
I too could have a small family living down in my basement and would never know it.
Seriously, who doesn't ask where their roommate is, or find out why this lurker has been staying with you for three days! I'm going to secretly stay with you next week to see if you notice!
Post a Comment