Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I'm Not Twitter-Pated

Now, I am by means techno-savvy, and as such I've been having a few techno-problems:


  • Facebook "friends" - Yes. I have recently joined Facebook. Perhaps the thing that surprised me most was how many people located me, then added me as their friend. Now, I have to "confirm" their friend request before they can see my profile. At first it was flattering. Look at all the people who want to be my friend! Then I realized it's like those kids in high school who wanted everyone (inlcuding teachers!) to sign their yearbook. I'm just a tool to up their friend count. Yes, in my naive Facebook state I have confirmed some "friends" that I now regret. Worse, I am constantly being updated on what these people are doing (more on this below). I haven't found the option to "unfriend" - plus, that's kind of mean. So I feel like I just have to stick it out.

  • Twitter - Have ya'll heard of this Twitter thing? Apparently it's a way for you to write mini-posts of what you're doing all throughout the day. I first learned of this because one of my facebook "friends" is constantly twittering. Now, whenever I log on to Facebook, I see this person at the top of my friend list, with messages like this:

    A.L. (name protected) is twittering: On my way home ... Late night at the office. Going to make Meatball Sandwiches for dinner tonight ... So much fun
  • I haven't seen this person since high school (8 years ago!!!), but now I know what she's having for dinner, when she's waiting to catch a flight, if she has a cold, and the list goes on (and on). It's too much! If I were to get on this Twitter thing (which I'm not), I think I would bore people to death. A sample post:
    Kristen is eating
    Kristen is watching TV
    Now she's wasting time on the internet
    Yep...still on the internet
    Kristen is eating again

    I think you get the picture. Am I way off base? Too old to appreciate technological progress? Or am I not the only one experiencing these techno-problems?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on the facebook thing. It's crazy! I don't understand the obsession with it. But I did learn something new yesterday -- how to "unfriend" someone. Go to your profile and then view your list of friends. Next to each person's name there is a small x. If you click it, it will tell you that you can remove that person as a friend and they won't receive a message saying that you removed them as a friend. So see...it's not mean..and it kind of feels good! :)
Signed,
The Birds Nest #1 Fan

Kristen said...

I'm thrilled we have a fan at all, much less a number one fan! Thanks for the hint - I will definitely be decreasing my friend count and liberate myself in the process! -Kristen