So. Today I was at the tower of Rice Eccles stadium to receive an award. Yes, you read that right. UTA gave me a "Commuter Vision Award" because I do a lot with vanpools at work. First of all, I was there alone to receive my award. Both my bosses were out of town and I felt weird asking random coworkers if they wanted to go to this ceremony to watch me get an award. So I already feel a bit dumb and slightly self-conscious. Just setting the scene.
So I sit down at a table near the front. There are only two others at the table, but eventually this man comes by and asks if "we" can sit down (he's alone). A few minutes go by and no one was talking to him, so I asked what company he was with. He says "Murray City." Well, okay. Another few minutes go by and I ask him if he is from Murray or if that's just his day job. He informs me he's from Murray. Well, soon some other people start sitting down and calling this man "Mayor." Yep, sure enough I've just asked the mayor of Murray is he's from Murray.
Then in walks Mayor Peter Coroon of Salt Lake County, our keynote speaker, and he comes and sits next to this guy (which means he's also sitting next to me). So somehow at this awards breakfast I ended up sandwiched between two mayors, a city councilman, a chair on UTA's board, and two people from JC Penny who didn't say a word. Um, awkward?

2 comments:
Kristen -
I would have gone with you, then we could have both been embarassed by not recognizing the mayor together.
- Jolene
I LOVE this story. And picturing you as the meat in a mayor sandwich. Hee hee. You also forgot to mention that you got a one page write up and lovely picture in the program. You're kind of a big deal.
Post a Comment