Alright, here is my follow up rowing story that Kristen mentioned. So, one of the first things that they teach you in the class is that you never, ever leave your boat (or vessel as Kristen likes to call it). You are also never supposed to let go of your oars. I guess this has to do with the fact that the boats cost a real lot of money, and they are letting amateurs like us use them. Now, the boats are very tricky to get into because they are very wobbly, then you have to hang onto the oars, while remembering to never let go of them and trying to sit in this this narrow little boat without crashing through the fiberglass shell. See, they're tiny!
We had a rough time getting all of our classes in due to bad weather, but we had a make up class scheduled on a Saturday. Which turned out to be a very windy and cold day. Like gale force winds. So, I am getting in my boat and have one foot in when this big gust of wind starts pushing my boat and my one leg away from the dock. Sadly for me, I never took gymnastics, and the splits are not in my current repertoire of tricks. Remembering that I can't leave my boat or oars, and can't move too much or I will crash through the fiberglass shell, I lunged back toward the dock, where I promptly fell on my face with the oars on top of me. I got some nice bruises, but I saved my boat! I was pretty proud of myself.
We finished the class and were getting ready to leave when I reached into my hermetically sealed zippered pouch in my sweatshirt to get my car keys, and found that my keys were nowhere to be found. I searched everywhere and they were gone. Sure enough, I found a hole on the inside of my pocket where my keys must have escaped when I was splayed out on the dock. Is there a worse feeling than realizing that you are stuck litrully in the middle of nowhere without your car keys? Here is what I learned from this incident:
1. Kristen is a great person to have with you in case of an emergency. She kept me calm as I may have had a little freak out, and she had her phone with her, which was amazing since mine was tightly locked up in my car. She then used that phone to call AAA to rescue us.
2. AAA is the best investment I have ever made. They sent a guy to crack open my car within 17 minutes! On a Saturday in the middle of nowhere.
3. Always keep a spare set of keys in your car. I happened to have put my purse in my trunk with another set of keys, so we were able to drive on home after we were rescued.
Now for a fun game, who would like to guess how much it cost to replace these five items?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
$100.
I say $101
You would try to outbid me.
You're both wrong--$149! Stupid sweatshirt.
Post a Comment