Sunday, May 19, 2013

My Go-To Breakfast Recipes

Mmmm....breakfast. My favorite meal of the day. Lately I've been making a big batch of breakfast that I will take to work and eat the entire week. I am always looking for healthy breakfast recipes that aren't, like, cereal (even though I love cereal).  Here are some of my go-to recipes.

 Tomato, squash, and red pepper gratin.
Why I like it: it's a sneaky way to get in tons of veggies.  I leave off the breadcrumbs because they get soggy on the leftovers.  Splurge on the Gruyere cheese - that's the bestest part.

Recipe on cookinglight.com







Crustless smoked turkey quiche.
Why I like it: MMmmm...it's the swiss cheese you layer on the bottom that cooks until it gets a little brown, combined with the smoky turkey (I use Boar's Head Smoked Honey Turkey).

Recipe on cookinglight.com







Baked oatmeal.
Now, I actually make some significant changes to this recipe.  I swap out cinnamon (yuck) for nutmeg (yum), eliminate all the dried fruit, and instead of the applesauce, which I never have on hand, I use a ripe mashed banana.  Make sure you mash it really well.  I serve with some plain greek yogurt and fruit.

Original recipe on twopeadsandtheirpod.com

Eggs in ham cups.
Why I like it: They had me at "ham cup."  This recipe is so versatile - I can use pretty much any veggies or cheese I have on hand and it always turns out great.  I also like that they turn out in individual servings.

Recipe on ourbestbites.com

No comments: