For Mother's Day, a friend posted a quote on Instagram for Mother's that said . . . "A mother's hug lasts long after she lets go". It made me think of a blanket that many of us have from my Mom that he said if we wrap the blanket around us, it's like a hug from her. It gets me teary-eyed just thinking about it and I'm so glad for the many things that we do have to remind us of Mom as she was a great example to us of so many things. We all have many memories, but these are a few that I don't want to forget. I've been thinking as summer gets near how she would coordinate with other Moms to offer little classes - or escapes during the day - learning new things. Mom taught a cooking class that we loved. We ended up with a cookbook that we all got to illustrate. I loved when we got checked out of school on our birthdays to have lunch - and Dad would often meet us there. Now that I'm working, I really appreciate the challenge of making that all happen. Later in high school, I loved having some time where I could come home, and we would watch Regis and Kathie Lee together and often go to lunch or a boutique. I loved the care packages that she would send to us - to my brothers on their missions and to Ricks College and to my sisters away at BYU. I commuted to school in Orem on the bus and worked as well. Mom would diligently take me to the bus stop by the Fashion Place Mall where we would listen to the Idaho Joke of the Day with Fisher and Todd. And, since I didn't go away to school, Mom would send my care packages to work. The mailroom loved to get one of her packages that was taped up so well you really had to work to get in, and it was colorfully decorated with stickers and lettering. It could have been a treat to help get through the day or a new clip art CD that I had been looking for. She was always looking for and aware of things we would like.
Here are some great pictures that we treasure of Mom and Dad . . . starting out together back in 1967 . . . our last family picture session with her in 2004 when we had just a few grandkids and she secretly knew that Grace Betty would be joining Brent and Lilli's family soon and then to contrast with some of the girl and boy shots from this year too. We know Mom is pleased with our great family.
And along with kudos to Mom is a big hug and kiss to our Dad who works hard to keep our family close and continues with the many family traditions in Mom's absence. Dad hosts as we gather regularly in Betty's Ballroom for Family Home Evenings, birthdays, holidays and many days in between. Dad is always there for us and we appreciate him and all that he does for us so much!
We celebrated Mom's birthday in March with her favorite cake from Mrs. Backer's bakery downtown and a team game with trivia and picture's from Mom's life so that the we can all remember.

2 comments:
Love this post!! Nice job, Julie.
Your mom was such a sweet lady! I love the picture of all you girls with her at the top:)
Post a Comment