Thursday, December 22, 2011

Guilty as Charged, Part 2

Back in 2009, I blogged about how much I was enjoying made-for-tv Christmas movies. Well, friends, they keep making 'em, and I keep watching 'em! Here, my thoughts on what I've watched lately:

A Princess for Christmas
Plot: A woman raises her niece and nephew after their parents die in a tragic accident. They go to England to meet the kids' grandfather, and meet the kids' hot young British uncle. I think you can see where this is going.
Lovable old person: Roger Moore(!) as the kids' stuffy grandfather.
Overacting: 4/5. Pratfalls and overreactions abound.
My guilt level: 3/5.
Handsomeness of male lead: 5/5. My weakness for British men is evident here, especially when they are a) in riding gear, or b) in cable-knit sweaters. This man does both, but even he can't save this movie.
Overall: 2.5/5


A Holiday Engagement
Plot: A woman loses her job and her fiancé right before Christmas, so she searches online for someone to pose as her fiancé as she goes home to her family.
Lovable old person: Shelley Long, unrecognizable as the mother. Seriously, I had no idea Shelley Long was in this movie until I searched for this picture. I also had no idea Haylie Duff was in this movie until I saw her name on this picture.
Overacting: 2/5.
My guilt level: 1/5.
Handsomeness of male lead: 4/5
Overall: An adorable ending gets this one 3/5

Trading Christmas
Plot: It's Hallmark's version of The Holiday. Faith Ford (hey, Corky!) and Tom Cavanaugh (I miss you, Ed!) decide to switch houses at the holidays. Do they find romance? I think they do!
Lovable old person: non-existent. Unless you count Gil Bellows (Billy from Abby McBeal!), who is practically middle-aged but still attractive.
Overacting: 1/5.
Handsomeness of male lead: Tom Cavanaugh: 4/5 Gil Bellows: 3/5
Overall: 4/5

Did you watch any of these? What do I still need to watch? (Julie, I know you want me to watch "Holiday in Handcuffs!")

2 comments:

Briana Weir said...

i agree with julie. holiday in handcuffs is a real gem. this year i was also introduced to the christmas card, which was pretty rich.

Julie said...

Dang! I can't believe I missed Trading Christmas . . . that sounds right up my alley and I don't see any other showings. I am in the middle of watching the last showing of the classic, Snowglobe with Christina Milian. And I have recorded a new one this year, On Strike for Christmas, with one of my loves from Gilmore Girls, David Sutcliffe and Daphne Zuniga (shout out to Melrose Place) that has a few more showings you can catch.