Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Can I just give you a gift card?

The other day I got a Facebook friend request from a girl in my ward. I was hesitant to accept her - we've only talked 2 or 3 times, and she's getting married, so I doubt our paths will cross again. Then, on Saturday, I got a call from her cousin, who needed my address so she could invite me to this girl's bridal shower! Which is this coming Saturday! Really, a week's notice??

If that weren't bad enough, it's a "time of day" shower where you get the person a gift based on the time of day you're assigned. My time of day? The middle of the night! So now, not only do I barely know this person, but now I have to buy her lingerie??

PS. I felt obligated to accept her friend request. Wouldn't you?
PPS. Anyone have any non-lingerie ideas for "middle of the night?"

8 comments:

Briana Weir said...

How about a sleep mask? Or a memory foam pillow? Or some tylenol pm? Earplugs in case her husband snores? Gift card to taco bell cause they are open all night? I got a million of 'em!

Julie Bird said...

Oh man . . . this is funny! One time we gave the t-shirt and pajama pants that she would really wear to bed . . . forget the lingerie.

Melinda said...

Oh my word, that just made my night! All of my married friends tell me they're in bed by 10:00, so why don't you get her a shirt that says, "Hey lady, guess what? You're boring now. Oh, and also, I don't know you and I felt pressured to accept your FB friendship request!" And then come to my house at midnight, and we'll get a fourth meal with the extra money!

Beth said...

Everything about this is funny.

If you want to please everyone, get her a Victoria's Secret giftcard. The only thing worse than being expected to buy lingerie for someone you don't even really know is trying to guess the right size of lingerie so you don't offend the person you don't really know.

Or get some pillowcases or something and a sleep mask.

Or don't go to the shower. GASP! It's short notice, just politely let her know you had other plans.

Vanessa said...

I got an invite to a bridal shower for a Young Woman that was in young women's less than a year ago! It was also a time of the day shower, and I got night, too! I asked her mom what the heck I was supposed to get her for that time, and her mom said, lingerie!! I couldn't do it. I didn't go to her shower and I gave her a gift card later!
Maybe you don't have to go to her shower?? :) (I'm telling you this story to make you feel ok about not going in case that is the solution that you chose!)

Uzi said...

Why don't you find out who has 10pm then persuade them to give her some Ambien. That way, she'll be so knocked out and won't ever experience the "middle of the night" and next thing you know, she'll be opening up the present for 7 am.

Problem solved and a dollar saved!

jayna said...

Kristen,
Too funny. Sometimes I just leave the friend request in facebook for a while and then decide. i figure that people will forget they even asked if enough time has gone by.

as for the gift... i just had this same dilemma about a month ago. except i knew that person very well. i printed off her registry and ended up with a banana hanger and some dishcloths. when she opened it i told her that whatever she did with that stuff in the middle of the night was her business.

:)

good luck.

Kristen said...

Update: I gave her pajama pants and earplugs with a note that "this is what you'll really be wearing in the middle of the night." when I dropped off the gift at her shower she hadn't even arrived yet. Nice.