Friday, May 13, 2011

#6: Make a Perfect English Custard Sauce - DONE!

Once upon a time, when I did my study abroad in London, we all lived together in a great big flat. We had the most lovely couple – Tony and Tina – who lived in the flat with us and took care of it (and us). Tina, bless her, made all the meals for the 60 of us every night, and she was an amazing cook. My favorite thing she made us was her custard. We don’t have anything like it in America. It’s a vanilla-y sauce that you can put on anything (though it was best on Tina’s bread pudding).

Ever since I got back, I’ve been wanting to re-create that custard sauce. And who better to help me than my friend Allison, who was there with me in London and got to experience Tina’s custard nirvana firsthand? (Beth – wish you were here!)

Together we embarked on the rather complex directions. I even used a real vanilla bean for the first time! Here I am smelling it:

The result? We both agreed it wasn’t as thick as Tina’s custard, but the taste was pretty darn good. And served up over – what else? – bread pudding, it almost made me feel like I was back in the London Centre dining room. Almost.

And after Allison left, I stood over the sink and licked the ladle.

Get the recipe we used here:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/CremeAnglaise.html

1 comment:

Beth said...

Love it! I wish I was there, too!