It has been like Christmas every week waiting to see what different bits of produce are going to make their way into my fridge. Since we have had such a rainy season, I have gotten to try a lot of different types of lettuce while the other veggies are waiting to be harvested. But this week, we had some fun surprises. I mean, how cute are these baby carrots?
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Eat Your Greens
Since I tend to eat my body weight in ice cream during the Summer, I try to balance that out by upping my intake of vegetables. Smart, right? So Kristen introduced me to a delightful way to do that this year. Have you ever heard of a CSA? I hadn't either, but apparently, it's a more efficient way of saying Community Supported Agriculture. Or, in words I can understand, it means that for a nominal fee, a local farmer will bring produce to you from his farm every week! Genius! Kristen joined a CSA through her work and I joined in.
It has been like Christmas every week waiting to see what different bits of produce are going to make their way into my fridge. Since we have had such a rainy season, I have gotten to try a lot of different types of lettuce while the other veggies are waiting to be harvested. But this week, we had some fun surprises. I mean, how cute are these baby carrots?
But I hit the jackpot when I got 2 pounds of sugar snap peas. Do you know why? Because:
It's true. The rest of my family thinks I'm crazy, but I'm sorry, peas are delicious. When I was a wee lass, my cute Grandpa Howard grew the most amazing peas in his garden. We would visit my grandparents every Sunday, but when the peas were ripe for the picking, I would run into the kitchen, grab a bowl, and run to the garden, where I would spend the entire time shoving peas into my mouth. I know, I'm dainty. So when I got these babies, it was not only nostalgic, but delicious as well! Please cross your fingers that the East Family Farm will grace me with another magical delivery next week!
It has been like Christmas every week waiting to see what different bits of produce are going to make their way into my fridge. Since we have had such a rainy season, I have gotten to try a lot of different types of lettuce while the other veggies are waiting to be harvested. But this week, we had some fun surprises. I mean, how cute are these baby carrots?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i love peas too!!! LOVE em.
Post a Comment