Sunday, March 27, 2011

Burn the Witch!

This weekend I joined all of the high schoolers and BYU students (with a few old people who were probably tricked into coming) down at the Hare Krishna temple in Spanish Fark for the Festival of Colors. For those of you unfamiliar with the festival, it involves tens of thousands of people converging on a small Utah farming town, buying mass quantities of colored cornstarch...and throwing it at each other. When you get done, you look like this:


Also, they burn a witch. Not a real witch...a wooden witch. But still! They only do it once during the festival - "because it takes a long time to make her" - and I was lucky enough that it was while I was there. Imagine if you will, a crowd of say 10,000 people - many of whom are Mormons - chanting "Burn the witch!" over and over again. It's mob mentality in its most basic form. All we needed were some pitchforks and the scene would've been complete.

Do you think any in the crowd woke up Sunday morning and asked themselves, "did I really chant 'burn the witch'" yesterday?

Eh, probably not. See you next year!


No comments: