We hadn't been anywhere in a while and were itching to go somewhere. So, with a sweet company discount at a few Denver hotels, we planned a trip there over the extended Labor Day weekend.
I love nothing more than getting to the airport early to enjoy breakfast at Cafe Rio. Where else can you get breakfast there? It's great!
We struggle with taking selfies.
And, we're off! I get my standard tomato juice . . . yum! My sisters like seeing what I get at the gift shop for my snacks and magazines. This time my treat was Pringles. I hate to be too predictable.
We started off with some bowling at Lucky Strike on 16th Street.
One of the reasons we wanted to go to Denver over Labor Day was that it was restaurant week. Hundreds of restaurants offer a fixed price menu that you can choose. It's a great chance to try a restaurant that you might not normally be able to go. We had done a lot of research on this and just couldn't decide. Many restaurants were booked. We read about ChoLon and got a 9:30pm! reservation there. It turned out to be a highlight!
Look at these little dumplings. They are filled with the yummiest French onion soup inside. So good!
We all agreed that this Kaya Toast was one of our favorites. Anything that has a description involving a cloud has to be good, right?
This was one of my favorites - a carbonara made out of cauliflower. It was scrumptious.
And, to cap things off was this heavenly dessert involving chocolate, peanut butter, and bananas.
We walked by Larimer Street on the way to the restaurant. I love a white light!
We stayed at the Four Seasons . . . love a corporate rate!
Kristen's highlight was getting to choose the paper of her choice to be delivered each morning. Of course, it was the New York Times. It came in a special bag to our door each morning. See how happy she is.
This was normally our view of Kristen in the room. That, or of her taking a nap. Since I'm pretty much going solo on this blog now, we'll see if she even notices this pic in here. :)
One of the things to do on our list this time - since we couldn't go to a game - was to at least go on a tour of the Broncos stadium. We caught a bus . . . and walked and walked . . . and were so excited to get in. We took pictures . . .
. . . And then we found out that there was a college event at the stadium that day and there would be no tours. Boo to that! So, back on the light rail and bus we went.
We tried another day and actually got in.
Heading through the tunnel onto the field . . . wahoo!
Melinda and Kristen especially enjoyed the room with all the kegs!
Another favorite place to stop while in Denver is Kaos Pizza on Pearl Street. We discovered it a few years ago on a local food tour and have loved it since. We know exactly which light rail stop will get us there. :)
They have a great patio
And this Miss Piggy pizza with peaches was a pleasant surprise
Plus our ultimate favorite - a classic margherita pizza
I had read on Yelp about a popsicle place that wasn't far from Kaos. It was also a delight. The strawberry balsamic popsicle was a yummy one.
Not only was it Restaurant Week, but there was also a food fest downtown. What could be better? They had different musical acts each week and we were lucky enough to be there on the day that En Vogue was giving a concert. And, boy, was it packed!
I wish I had a video of this, but this little couple was really grooving to the music. It was great!
Way off in the distance is En Vogue
Then when it was dark, the most incredible firework show. It went on for quite a while. We were impressed.
No turkey legs for us, but we did get some delicious stuff from the local food vendors
Oh, hi Kristen . . . . guess what's she's reading again.
We ventured to the Botanical Gardens for a showing of Dale Chihuly's glass works. We love the piece that is in Abravanal Hall from the Olympics that he did and were excited to see this display. We got a map (which I totally loved) to tell us where the glass pieces were. It was incredible to see how they fit right into the landscape.
What a great place for a wedding too.
While we were in Denver, we got these cute videos of Grace, Maggie and Davis doing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. They challenged us to also do it. Melinda thought we wouldn't need to really do it in return.. .until Lilli informed us that they totally expected us to do it. Again, since I'm the only one working on this blog, I'm posting these blackmail videos. We completed the task in our hotel rooms . . our own interpretation of the challenge.
And, I can't believe I didn't get a picture of this, but we had a great dinner with our cousin, Spencer, and his family at Steuben's. Spencer's wife, Kelly, was so thoughtful in researching places that we would like and had a reservation all ready for us. It was fun to eat and catch up with them.
Then, off we were again after a whirlwind trip. Me, with my tomato juice.
And, by the way, Melinda sent me this article which sort of explains why I love tomato juice flying - and really no other time. There is a scientific reason to why I like tomato juice
No comments:
Post a Comment