Saturday, December 8, 2012

My Favorite Songs of 2012

For some reason, I can't embed a playlist anymore, so get your iTunes handy and see what you think of some of my favorite songs from the last year!

Some songs that are lovely
  • Lost in the Light - Bahamas.  He almost sounds Jack Johnson-y.  It's sooo slow and relaxed that it's the kind of song you just sort of have to settle into. Then the harmonies come in at about 1:23, and it's like, ok.  This is good.
  • The World is Watching - Two Door Cinema Club. MAN I love Two Door Cinema Club (more from them later).  This is different than their regular sound, but so so good. I love the harmonies. 
  • Come Back Down - Greg Laswell with Sara Barellis.  I love Greg Laswell's voice.  He and Sara Barellis together?  Sold. 
  • Into the Wild - LP.  LP is a wild-haired, tattooed female with a super unique voice who incorporates violins, what sounds like a ukelele, and whistling into a song that actually has very broad appeal - because it's just a darn fine song.    
  • King and Lionheart - Of Monsters and Men.  This Icelandic band made a really great debut album.  I also like "Little Talks" on their album, but "King and Lionheart" is lovely. 

Some songs that feel retro (but aren't)
  • Glitter & Gold - Rebecca Ferguson. I heard this on a promo for "Nashville" and HAD to find out what it was.  
  • 365 Days - ZZ Ward.  My app "Band of the Day" turned me on to this artist.  She has a raspy, "don't-mess-with-me" voice and makes songs that sound both old and new at the same time.  
  • Oh My! - Hailey Reinhart.  Oh my, this is a good song!  They had me at the horns in the intro. 
  • The Real Thing - Audra Mae and the Almighty Sound. 
  • Hold On - Alabama Shakes.  Nominated for Best New Artist in the Grammys this year, this band is led by a female lead singer named Brittany who, frankly, sounds like a dude.  Don't let that dissuade you - her heartfelt wails are what makes the band sound unique. 
Girls and Guitars
  • Flinty - Anya Marina. This is a good song to run to. 
  • Keepsake - Grace Potters & The Nocturnals. This is a great band and I hear they're great live. 
  • Synthetica - Metric.  I downloaded much of Metric's new album just before I went to Europe, so I had this on repeat. Not everyone's cup of tea, probably, but I like 'em. 
Songs that are just fun
  • I Want You Back - Noisettes.  Love the cowboy feel in the beginning and then how it turns into a pure pop song. 
  • Hang it Up - The Ting Tings. If you liked the Ting Tings' last album, they're back with more of the same.  I love the drums on this one. 
  • Cameo Lover - Kimbra.  Kimbra, also known as the female voice on Gotye's "Someone I Used to Know," released an album of her own this year.  It's nothing like "Someone I Used to Know."  It's quirkier and pop-ier at the same time. Give Cameo Lover and its "bum bum bum bum bum, bum bum BUM bum" hook a try. 
  • This Head I Hold - Electric Guest.  Makes me want to boogie. 
  • Watch me Work - Melanie Fiona AND Do My Thing - Estelle.  Two British gals that do the female-empowerment/kiss off thing so well. 
  • Power & Control - Marina & the Diamonds. Marina & the Diamonds should be as popular as say, Katy Perry.  She writes songs that are just as catchy.
  • Pop Gun - Erin McCarley.  Remember her of "Love, Save the Empty" fame?  She's back with a new album, and this song is fast and fun. 
  • Annie You Save Me - Graffiti6 AND Come Home - CHAPPO.  These songs are kinda in the same vein.  Kinda pop-y, really fun. 
  • Sun - Two Door Cinema Club. Love the part 50 seconds in where they just kinda break it down.  Also - horns!
  • Techno Fan - Wombats.  Such pure joy when the chorus hits.  "I never knew I was a technoooo faaannn..."


1 comment:

Julie said...

You are always ahead of the curve with music. I haven't heard of any of these songs, but can't wait to check them out!