Sunday, October 23, 2011

I've Been Bamboozled!

I always thought that I would never get a tattoo, but apparently, I have this stenciled onto my forehead:
I like to think of myself as a savvy person who can’t be manipulated, but twice in the last little while, I have been totally hoodwinked! So, one of my friends from my ward casually asked me to pick her from the airport on a Monday night. I told her I would be happy to as long as it was after 6:00 when I got home from work. She said that she wasn’t sure what time her flight got in, but she would text me and let me know. On Monday afternoon, I get the text. Which states that her flight gets in at midnight! I’m sorry, what? Now, I will say that I am a total night owl, but on a school night, come on! I mean, I wouldn’t even ask my family to pick me up at the airport at that time! So I roll to the airport, and the flight is of course late. At 12:20 when I pick her up, we are chatting about her trip, it turns out, that she had flown on out Saturday afternoon—which means that her car would have sat in the parking lot for a mere 1.5 days, and at most, she would have had to pay $14 to park her car. When I pushed her out of my rolling car dropped her off, she had quite the spring in her step for 1:00 in the morning. Well played my friend.

One of my co-workers is an older gent, who is the ultimate penny pincher. He constantly tells me that I spend too much money on frivolous things, and nicknamed me Joseph because of all of my coats. He and his wife have a monthly entertainment budget of $8. So on their monthly date night, they split a meal at Wendy’s, and then get a Redbox. As a side note, if I ever get to that point, somebody please wrap me in on of my many coats and shoot me. Anyhoo, my friend and I thought it would be nice to take him to lunch for his birthday since he never goes out to eat. He was very excited by this prospect, and asked if his wife could also come since she had been wanting to meet us. He assured us that they would split a meal, because neither of them can eat very much and they never eat “restaurant food.” We said that was fine, and met her at CafĂ© Rio. He and his wife get in front of us in line, and he asks us if it’s okay if they get a drink. We told him that since it was his big day, to go crazy and get whatever he wants. We then watch as he and his wife both order chips and salsa, burritos, drinks and dessert, and tell the cashier that we are all together. His wife heads to get a table, and as we are paying for their two large meals, he asks me if he can have the stamps on his card as he is one away from a free meal. Interesting, Alan, I thought you didn’t eat restaurant food! The best part of the lunch was that they then told us that they couldn’t eat all of that food, and that it would be their dinner for the rest of the week.

Does anyone have any swampland in Florida that they want to sell me? Because apparently, I will buy it!

1 comment:

Lilli said...

Melinda, I am all out of checks. Can I borrow a couple of yours until mine come in the mail?