I'm telling you, I can't have any pride as a single person. I am sadly getting used to having to announce that I'm single against my will. A few weeks ago, I had to go to a church meeting with about 40 other people. The person conducting thought it would be fun for us to go around the room and announce who we were, and what our "family situation was." Well, there were quite a few single people there, and at the end of the introductions, the Stake President went on and on about how great it was that the singles were serving! He could not stop talking about how amazing it was that the wards trusted the singles to actually have callings. Come on! I felt like a disabled war veteran being praised for pouring a glass of milk.Then, this weekend I went to a concert with a group of people (I promise there was a group!). So while we were waiting amongst the crush of people to get in, I got temporarily separated from the people I came with. So I get to the bouncer/ticket taker guy, and give him my ticket. He takes it, looks at me sadly, and says, "Just one?" There was a very uncomfortable pause as I couldn't think of a witty retort, and then he says, "Try to have fun." I. was. mortified! Who says that? Even if I had come alone, do we really need to announce it out loud, and with a frowny face? So during this holiday season, I would like to say...boo to all of them! I'll be nursing a glass of milk in the corner, by myself, trying to have fun!
1 comment:
Ah! I know! I'm in the RS presidency in my ward and whenever we meet with people from the stake, this conversation happens in one form or another:
Stake person: "So, tell me about your family."
Me: "I'm single."
SP: "Oh . . . well . . . good for you!"
Turns out, being single in the LDS community equals mental retardation and/or being Canadian in the real world.
Post a Comment