One of my favorite things about the holiday season is finally getting to sing Christmas hymns in church. It is a short 4 week window before we have to Ring Out Wild Bells, so I really like to sing as many of the Christmas hymns as possible.However, it always seems that we keep the same 3 hymns on the rotation. Can you guess what they are? Think back to your meetings today, and I bet you had the same hymns as I did: Joy to the World, Hark the Herald Angels Sing and of course, Silent Night. Now, don't get me wrong, I love these hymns as much as the next guy, but we literally sing them every week, in every meeting. Where is Once in Royal David's City, or In Wondering Awe? Also, in Away in a Manger, why are the "Asleep, asleep" verses only in the children's songbook? And if anyone has any control over this, I would really like the Little Drummer Boy and his parump-ump-ums (sp?) to be added if possible.
2 comments:
I have to say that my ward is awesome at rotating hymns. We sing songs all the time that are off the beaten path. They even print out songs from the Children's Songbook and we sing them in our meetings. And we sing a lot of hymns! Every single week we have a special musical number or an intermediate hymn. I love it.
This week we sang "While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks," "Far Far Away on Judea's Plains," and "Away in a Manger" (Children's Songbook).
ps: Captcha is "duche dog." I'm offended.
How you will love to hear that 1)I am the ward chorister now. 2)I feel exactly the same as you. 3)I carefully chose the songs for each of the four weeks, and 4)we will officially NOT be singing Silent Night and Hark. (No offense to those songs, but YES are they ever oversung. Joy to the World was on the schedule, but not until Dec 26--day after Christmas! (But then it got changed--not due to me, and we'll sing it on the 19th.)
Boy did I appreciate this post! :)
PS--Tomorrow we will sing Angels We Have Heard on High (every Alto's favorite), With Wondering Awe, and Away in a Manger. But I prefer the hymnbook version and can personally do without the "Asleep, asleep" part. Sorry. ;)
Post a Comment