I
magine that your favorite hobby is stargazing and you’ve just joined a stargazing club. You come to your first club activity eager to participate. It’s a cold night, but you’re not concerned: most of the club members are wearing club jackets, and you’ve been told you should be able to get one as well. But there is no jacket for you. You ask about it, and you are told to keep looking and that if you do your best, you will find a jacket when the time is right.Meanwhile, you are getting pretty cold and a little worried. And you notice that most of the other club members are talking about how nice and warm their jackets are. In fact, throughout the evening the topic surfaces continually in various forms: how to wash and dry your jacket, how to add extra pockets, how to mend it, and so forth. Some of the club members notice you don’t have a jacket. “You really need a jacket for these activities,” they tell you. “Why don’t you have one yet?”
Elder Oaks invited his favorite former older single adult (his wife) to speak. Sister Oaks is Elder Oaks' second wife. They were married when she was fifty three years old (two years after his first wife passed away). She said that asking "Am I doing something wrong?" is the wrong question. Instead we should be asking, "What more can I do that is right?" She said to NEVER be discouraged, but to pray, read the scriptures, and have faith. Elder Oaks continued his talk after Sister Oaks was finished and added these two quotes,
"Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ prepares us for whatever life may bring." "Do your best and then trust in the Lord and his timing."
So . . . what to do with this? I went home and related the story to my family and the question we still don't know is . . . so how do I get a jacket? Does this mean there is a General Authority waiting for me in a few years? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one without a jacket (think ward parties . . I don't like them), or wonder how people around me are able to get multiple jackets when I just want one. I mean, I like to shop, so what's the problem here?
A lady in my ward saw me at a recent activity and said that she was thinking of me when this story was told in Conference. (Oh . . . thank you . . I wonder where this is going). And, she said that she and her husband related to it as well as they have been married for 14+ years and haven't been able to have children. She said that she and her husband thought that if the singles don't have a jacket - then they without kids don't have pants?!?! I was uncomfortable at this point and wasn't quite sure what to say next. Anyhoo . . . it was an interesting concept to think and talk about.
3 comments:
Seriously, I just want a jacket! I have my money all ready, and just need to know where to buy it! You should have cornered Elder Oaks afterward and demanded to know where to go shopping. Also, the no pants analogy is creepy.
oh boy... so by her line of thinking, you're running around without a jacket OR pants?!
I love the two of them. And I want a jacket. Down filled. The one that when you reach in the pocket you find money you left there awhile ago. You know the kind. ;) Thanks, Julie, this was good.
Post a Comment