Friday, October 26, 2012

A Confession

So here's a post I've wanted to write for a long time.  I've tried to think through everyone who reads this blog, and it's not my intention to offend, so this is solely based on my own experiences and personal opinion.  With that disclaimer, here goes:

I hate Mary Kay.

Hate it!

I cringe every time I hear someone say they sell Mary Kay.  I've been to well over a dozen Mary Kay "parties" through the years, even up to a few months ago, which was attended by several "red jacket" ladies (the kind who have earned the cars).  I think that last one was the straw that broke my camel's back.

Here's my reasoning:
1. Mary Kay is no longer relevant.  Gone are the days when your only options to buy makeup were the drugstore or high-end department stores.  But you know what we have now?  The internet.  And Sephora.  And Ulta.  Guess what hasn't changed? The little makeover kits with the mirrors where you squeeze in the little samples. It was the same ten years ago when I attended these parties with my cash-strapped college roommates.  It's the same now.  After having gone to so many, I think I could run one of these parties myself (not that I'm offering!).  Which brings me to...

2. The pressure sell.  I'm going to these parties because I know Mary Kay has given you a near-impossible target to meet, and I'm trying to help you out.  But then they make you fill out one of those cards where you list your complexion, problem areas - and by the way, how interested are you on a scale of 1-5 in receiving some free product to host a party yourself?  There's no option for 0.

3. Mary Kay is too expensive for what it is.  I go into these things planning to buy something, because I know that's part of the deal.  But have you ever tried to find something cheap??  Nearly impossible.  If it were a truly amazing product (like this little miracle tube!), I'd be willing to pay - but in my opinion, I've found Mary Kay products to be just "ok."

4. Mary Kay is not a good business model.  Their marketing strategy is very savvy - Mary Kay herself was a divorced single mother who needed to provide an income for her kids.  I think they appeal to a lot of women who have families and need extra money - nothing wrong with that.  The stories of female empowerment and pink Cadillacs are tantalizing. But I think very few have the personality to flourish in this type of direct selling.  Once you've exhausted your friends, family, and ward members, you need to have an almost bulldog-like tenacity to find additional contacts and convince them to host parties for you.  I think some can do this exceptionally well because they have that type of personality.  But I think most just give up and decide to try to use up the product they've had to pre-purchase to keep in stock.

Guys, my days of attending these parties are over.  I'm in my thirties, and I no longer feel trying Satin Hands for the 10th time.  What do you think about Mary Kay?  Do you like their products?  Have you ever/do you now sell for them?

2 comments:

Fame said...

could not agree more!

Kate said...

Amen, Kristen!