Sunday, September 4, 2011

#26 - Get the list of prominent people in the Salt Lake Cemetery and find their gravesites - DONE!

I know, I know...what a weird one to put on my list, right? But I have always loved the Salt Lake Cemetery. I just think it has such a rich history. In fact, the sexton's office has a map of the cemetery with all the famous people who are buried there. If you want to look up a family member, they will print you a DETAILED map, including who is around the person you're looking for and exactly how to get there.

Here were some of my thoughts during my little adventure:
  • The Salt Lake Cemetery is going to be where all the action is during the Resurrection. 11 prophets are buried there, from as early as John Taylor to as recent as Gordon B. Hinckley.
  • And, my grandma will have an awesome seat. She's right in the same section as Harold B. Lee.
  • It's interesting how the prophets all have huge grave markers. I think if they were choosing their headstones themselves, they would pick something more understated. But when your family is choosing for you and realize the legacy you have, I kinda get it. Here's a few examples:
  • It's very possible to have incredibly tacky grave markers. This means you, everyone who puts a picture on their headstone!
  • I found Emo's grave. Turns out, it is totally on the map. Background: if you grew up in Salt Lake, you have probably spent some time in the Salt Lake Cemetery looking for Emo's grave. I remember at least two after-dark occasions for me, but we didn't find it either time. Let me tell you: it is creepy even in the bright sunlight. Here's a far away look:

    And a close-up. Yes, there really is an urn or something inside the door of this grave stone. Apparently his remains have been moved to an "undisclosed location" due to all the vandalism at this site.

  • 1 comment:

    Heather said...

    I went on a Haunted SLC tour and Emo's grave was on the tour...very spooky!