Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thankful A-Z: "Y"

This is going to sound odd, but I am totally grateful for the movie, Yentl. This movie helped to provide my #1 favorite moment in Sacrament Meeting. As a young lass, Julie had a friend whose parents were divorced, and she rarely got to see her father. Well, wouldn't you know it, they asked this friend to speak in church on Father's Day. Rather than give a traditional talk on how great her dad was and how she would like to see him, this dear girl instead chose to belt out the song Papa Can You Hear Me? from Yentl. From the pulpit. She was very theatrical, and boy, did she go for it. We were dying! And while I have witnessed many fantastically awkward moments in church, this has remained my #1. The Four Horsemen of Death is #2.

I am also thankful for my Youth. (Since all of the photos of my youth are on film, you get this cute picture instead) I had the best childhood, and often wish I could go back and relive it. I mean, how great is it that my big choice for the day was whether or not to wear the checkered overalls with my red elephant t-shirt or my Twin Peaks cougar shirt? I could play soccer all day on Saturday without my knees hurting or getting winded, and I had to decide which boy I was going to let chase me at recess. Those were good days my friends, good days.

No comments: